Sunday, July 21, 2013

Homeopathy (natural remedies)

I have never been overly concerned with "natural remedies" until now.  I've always thought "Hey, it's the 20th/21st century.  We've got the technology, use it!"  But while I was pregnant with T man I became increasingly concerned with putting artificial, possibly harmful, medications and toxins in my body.  (This is most likely due to my 2 previous miscarriages)  Even when I came down with a horrible head cold during my 4th month, I all but refused to take anything, for fear of hurting my unborn baby.  That was when I first began considering alternative/homeopathic medicines.

Nothing extreme, nothing too wild or "out there".  More like, herbal supplements (ginger, fennel, fenugreek, etc.) ice packs/heat packs instead of pain killers, etc.  *Note: I did have an epidural during delivery, but only after 10 hours of on my own pain management.  I'm not anti-drugs, I just have a new found confidence in homeopathy & the human body for it's self healing abilities

A few items that I have used or still use are:

Preggie Pops (and drops) are great for upset stomach due to morning sickness.  They also offer Queasy pops for non prego upset tummies and queasy tummies for kids (ages 4+)


Hylands offers a huge selection of products for infants and children.  These are the only products I have found available for babies under 2 years old.  I always keep a variety on hand at all times for T mans aches and pains.
  • Teething Tablets (dissolves instantly)
  • Tiny Cold Tablets (dissolves instantly)
  • Teething gel (does NOT contain benzocaine)
  • Earache drops
  • Cough syrup
We are currently living on a constant supply of Hylands.
T man is teething plus he has caught a cold of some sort so we are rockin both of the tablets
and the gel on an hourly basis (as needed per symptoms).
It keeps him happy and keeps mommy sane =)

 
Breastfeeding herbal supplements.  Some of these I buy anywhere (pharmacy, grocery store, etc.) Some of these I have to get at a specialty herbal store.  You could also check with your local organic grocer.
  • Fenugreek
  • Blessed Thistle
  • Alfalfa
  • Marshmallow Root
  • Fennel
  • Brewers Yeast
  • Flaxseed Oil
Witch Hazel for post delivery discomfort & vaginal stitch healing (I tore naturally, but some deliveries receive an episiotomy)

Non-prego related, I recently discovered that corn starch applied directly to a canker sore is extremely affective at easing the pain.  I don't think it heals or speeds recovery, but it sure lessens the pain =)

Some other products that I have not personally tried but I have heard good reviews on are:

Good Morning Mama (for morning sickness)
 
Hylands Allergies 4 Kids  (what can I say, I love Hyands!)

 
I'm sure there are a million other non-pharmaceutical remedies out there.  Do a quick Google for whatever is ailing you.  You'll be surprised at the abundance of cure all remedies you probably already have in your cabinets and closets.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment